Hoosiers win big at Indiana Intercollegiate

Sophomore Andrew Poore (center) leads a pack of Hoosiers and Butler's Rob Mullett through the LaVern Gibson Championship Course on Friday evening in Terre Haute. Poore finished second behind Mullett, and the Hoosiers took the next four places to finish first as a team.

With lofty expectations looming over the Indiana cross country team, the men’s and women’s teams both prevailed with first-place finishes Saturday at the Indiana Intercollegiate. 

“I was really happy with the way they ran,” IU coach Ron Helmer said. “They ran as a pack, consistent throughout the race.”

The women had hoped to knock off returning champion and rival Purdue, and they achieved their goal.

Senior standout Wendi Robinson led the pack with an overall second-place performance, just four seconds behind the meet leader. Robinson was followed by junior Sarah Pease at fourth and sophomore Chelsea Blanchard at sixth with a time of 18:01.

The men followed with an equally impressive performance.

Sophomore Andrew Poore led the way for the Hoosiers with a time of 24:46 and a second place finish. The rest of the Hoosiers’ squad took third-, fourth-, fifth- and sixth-place finishes.

Now, the teams have their sights set on the Paul Short Invitational in two weeks, set to take place at the University of Pennsylvania.  

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.