Hispanic Heritage Month begins this week

With Brazilian, Puerto Rican and Cuban music playing in the background, the National Hispanic Heritage Month Opening Reception kicked off one month of events.

Rodrigo Penna-Firme, who performed at Tuesday’s event, is originally from Brazil but is now a Bloomington resident. Penna-Firme said he became more connected to his culture once he came to Bloomington.

“When I came to Bloomington, I found the missing link between me and my country,” Penna-Firme said. “Brazil is the only country in South America that does not speak Spanish. When I came to the U.S., they put me in the Latino and Hispanic category. I feel a part of a wider geographical area ... I never considered myself Hispanic until I came to the U.S.”

IU students of all ethnicities can find their “missing link” during Hispanic Heritage Month.

“We need to bridge the gap between domestic and international students,” said Arlene Diaz, associate professor in the department of history and director of Latino Studies.
“Students need to be aware that in the next 10 years more students will be from Asian, black and Hispanic backgrounds. We are talking about a very diverse U.S. beginning.”

Students need to recognize this month because in 10 to 20 years, the Hispanic population is going to be the largest minority population, said Andre Siqueira, associate director of the Center for Latino American and Caribbean Studies.

When asked if IU is progressive in diversity, Diaz said, “They must do more, especially with the pending demographics.”

Hispanic Heritage Month developed during the 1960s Civil Rights movement. In 1968, Hispanic Heritage Week was created, and in 1988 it expanded into a month, Diaz said.

Hispanic Heritage Month began Tuesday and runs through Oct. 15. Events such as Festival Latino and Fiesta del Otono are taking place during the month.

Almost all Latin American countries gained independence between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15 at some point in history, Diaz said.

Students should take the time to discover Hispanic heritage, La Casa director Lillian Casillas said.

“The goal is to get a little taste and expand an interest,” Casillas said. “Since Hispanic Heritage Month falls within the beginning of the semester, it sets the tone for the rest of the year.”