Saturday, June 15

FOUND caters to diverse, artistic interests

An eclectic array of graphic artists, musicians, photographers, cake lovers and art fans flooded the Lodge, located on Sixth and Walnut streets, for FOUND, an evening of art appreciation.

The event featured the Electric Junkyard Gamelan, a touring musical group distinctive for producing sounds on everyday objects, and The Canary Project, a collaboration of artists focused on visual media and artwork applications.

Terry Dame, the self-proclaimed founding member of Electric Junkyard Gamelan, said FOUND was perfect for her style of music.

“It fused my two passions together – making music and inventing things,” she said. “That’s what I do. We use pots, pans, electric rubber band harps, drums.”

Art from IU students and staff members was also displayed.

Leslie Sharpe, professor of fine arts and the festival’s exhibition director, said FOUND was an evening for everyone to enjoy.

“We held the event in the community as opposed to on campus so we could reach out to the community,” she said. “There are students, professors and local artists here. There’s so much talent in Bloomington, so it was easy to come up with so many artists.”

On one wall, a collection of “Lost” signs were connected in display.

“There’s an absurdity about it, but also sweet melancholy,” Sharpe said. “You can imagine this piece growing.”

Sharpe said each featured piece exuded similar originality.

Graduate student and photographer Sara Brooks found her inspiration at a garage sale. As musicians performed in front of visual aids on large projection screens, Brooks stood behind a table offering pieces of her exhibit to bystanders.

“I’ve been baking since Sunday,” she said, motioning toward eight decorative cakes. “I found the recipes in a box at a garage sale and decided to make them all.”

Brooks photographed her baking process and attached the pictures to a collection of forks for cake-eaters to keep as souvenirs.

Dame said the group stopped in Bloomington at the request of Andrew Bucksbarg, director of the evening and telecommunications professor, who she met at the California Arts Institute.

“I like the town,” she said. “Although I haven’t seen an enormous amount, I had an excellent burrito.”