They say you can only do so much

Some say life is too short to do all of the things we humanly desire. While that might be true, it is much more plausible for a sports fan to complete his or her to-do list. We are only given so much time on this Earth, and sporting events not only boost a city’s economy and provide entertainment for the common person, but also in many cases they provide for unforgettable experiences.

Some are more memorable than others because of the magnitude of what is at stake or the environment in which they take place. For that reason, let’s take a look at five of the must-see events for a die-hard sports fan.

5. Final Four – Ask CBS Sports’ Greg Gumbel what the Final Four is, and he’d tell you it’s where dreams come true. From the open-to-the-public practices during the week to the crowning of a champion with the playing of “One Shining Moment,” the Final Four is one of the most anticipated weekends in American sports. Whether it’s a No. 1 versus No. 2 in the national championship or a Cinderella team trying knock off another premiere program, the Final Four is where sweat, blood and tears pay off.

4. Notre Dame football game – Notre Dame has forever solidified its position as the face of college football as we know it. Bob Costas once said that “when you play the Irish at home, you also play against their past.” Despite the current state of the program, the Irish continually sell out each home game, which, by the way, are all nationally televised. Game day in South Bend is a weeklong festivity. From mid-week when campus becomes populated with fans and alumni to the spirited pre-game tailgating, it’s all about the pride and tradition of the nation’s most storied collegiate football program.

3. Super Bowl
– The idea of football surpassing baseball as America’s pastime (although true) is an argument for a different date. The 43-year-old game crowns the champion of America’s most popular sporting league and is one of the most-watched sporting events around the entire world. The do-or-die atmosphere of the game separates it from things like the NBA playoffs (By the way, have those ended yet?) and the World Series.

2. Yankees vs. Red Sox at Fenway Park – Due to the original Yankee Stadium being replaced with Major League Baseball’s new home run derby site, I’m going with the contest in one of baseball’s oldest and most storied venues. Most teams have respect for their opponents and even rivals, but every rule also has its exception. The Yankees-Red Sox rivalry is one of the oldest in American sports and is almost without question the most heated between everyone from the general managers to fans and stadium employees. Thirty-four championships between the two, bench-clearing brawls and a former player of each team by the name of Babe Ruth says it all. Nothing spells “rivalry” like the East Coasters versus the Pinstripers.

1. The Masters – Where do I begin? I could talk about the aesthetics of Augusta National Golf Club, Tiger’s first win at a major coming at the 1997 tournament, the family spirited Par 3 Tournament on Wednesday, Magnolia Lane or a snapshot of Amen Corner on Sunday evening. It simply doesn’t get any better from a spiritual and sporting standpoint than seeing golf’s greatest compete with so much emotion in one of the most beautiful and original sports venues in the country.