Million Meals campaign puts pork on plates of Hoosiers

Local food bank to help Indiana be hunger free

In an effort to provide high-quality pork to Indiana food banks, Indiana Pork, in collaboration with Feeding Indiana’s Hungry, launched its Million Meals program at the annual Indiana Pork Ham Breakfast on Aug. 7.

“We wanted to create a program statewide for pork producers who want to contribute to feeding the hungry,” said Michael Platt, executive director of Indiana Pork.

The goal of the Million Meals program is to donate one million pork meals to Indiana food banks over the course of a year, Platt said. Approximately 160 pork producers donating one pig a month will accomplish the goal.

While the pork industry is coming up on the end of a second year of losses, producers still want to get involved in helping the hungry, Platt said. Indiana Pork is working with industry partners to sustain funds for the start of the program.

“Though the pork industry has seen a recent downturn due to the economy,” Platt said, “pork producers recognize that there are people out there worse off than they are and want to help them.”

The number of food bank participants has increased 30 percent nationally during the last several months, said Emily Bryant, executive director of Feeding Indiana’s Hungry. Currently about 600,000 Hoosiers go hungry – about 10 percent of the Indiana population – 190,000 of whom are children, she said.

“The campaign will provide quality meat to Hoosiers who really need it,” she said. “We want to make sure they are receiving food that is nutritious.”

Protein is one food type missing in many food banks, Platt said. The program will help deliver high-quality protein to food banks across Indiana.

Julio Alonso, executive director of Hoosier Hills Food Bank, said fresh meat is not donated on a regular basis.

“We rely heavily on donations,” he said. “We take whatever we can get. Unfortunately it doesn’t always have nutritional value. With the Million Meals program we will be able to access pork and put it to good use.”

In addition to providing protein, the program works to establish a relationship with Feeding Indiana’s Hungry, Platt said. The relationship will allow pork producers more opportunities to donate their time and products to helping the hungry.

“Pork producers are an integral part of the community,” he said. “The program will recognize the generosity of the producers in adding to the community.”

Bryant said the program will help in the goal of Feeding Indiana’s Hungry to make Indiana the first hunger-free state.

“Ultimately that is always our goal,” she said.