sports field hockey

IU takes Richmond by force

IU Field Hockey

The trip from Bloomington to Richmond, Va., was more than 500 miles, but it was worth it. IU field hockey won its first two games by 5 goals for and 3 goals against.

Help from experienced upperclassmen and goals from freshmen proved to be the Hoosiers’ strengths in the first two wins.

The trip to Virginia began with the Hoosiers playing No. 14 American University at Crenshaw Field. The team’s freshmen stepped up against their top-15 foe and brought the Hoosiers their first regular-season victory this year.

Just five minutes into Friday’s game, redshirt freshman forward Morgan Fleetwood scored off of a pass by junior forward Katie Griswold. A little more than 20 minutes later, the Hoosiers scored on a breakaway by freshman forward Shareyna Chang.
IU had a 2-0 lead by halftime against the experienced Eagles.

Junior goalkeeper Alex Mann and the players on the defensive end held off the Eagles for the next 35 minutes.

“The defense saved us today. Alex was very good,” Fleetwood said.

Mann saved 5 shots, only letting one get away in the final five minutes.

“This game was a confidence-builder. We hit the money spots in the circle,” IU field hockey coach Amy Robertson said.

The win was the Hoosiers’ first victory against a ranked opponent since Nov. 6, 2006, against then-No. 7 Penn State.

The Hoosiers faced another challenge Sunday. The Richmond Spiders had home-field advantage on their side.

The game started off slowly until Richmond scored off a goal from senior back Sarah Blythe-Wood because of a loose ball. About four minutes later, the Spiders scored again off a penalty shot from Blythe-Wood.

Before halftime began, the Hoosiers scored from a penalty corner by senior midfielder Meg O’Connell with an assist by senior forward Alina Valenti.

By halftime, the Spiders had a 2-1 lead against the Hoosiers. With 35 minutes to go, the team had to make a comeback if they were going to pull off another victory in Richmond.

At 47:36, O’Connell scored again unassisted to tie the game at two.  Forty-four seconds later, the Hoosiers scored again by a goal from freshman forward Brooke Borneman with an assist from junior midfielder Kelsey Kiper.

“This victory showed that we could come back from a deficit,” said Robertson.

For the next 20 minutes, IU field hockey’s defense and Mann held off the Spiders to end the game at 3-2 and tack on another Hoosier victory.  

Players said they learned something from their success in Richmond.

“We learned as long as we stick together, we can pull out a win,” said Griswold.