Eat like a locavore

If you’ve unfolded the menus of Kirkwood restaurants, stepped foot in Bloomingfoods, or wandered around the Farmers’ Market on a Saturday morning, you know Bloomington natives like to eat locally grown food. However, the freshest food comes with a price that may turn away cash-strapped college students. “It does tend to be more expensive,” says Dawn Goodfellow, Bloomington Bagel Company’s chief operating officer. “We have to pass on some of that cost to our customers.” But never fear, hungry Hoosiers. We’ve done the bargain hunting at a few of your favorite haunts, so you can eat fresh, eat cheap, and eat up.

Bloomington Bagel Company

113 N. Dunn Street, 349-4653; Seventh and Morton Streets bbcbagel.com

With eggs from Rhodes Family Farm in Newberry, honey from Hunter’s Honey Farm in Martinsville, and cider from Bloomington’s own Musgrave Orchard, BBC supports its neighbors. Goodfellow says using local ingredients helps attract customers. “This is our community as well,” Goodfellow says. “We’re friends with a lot of the local business owners.” But the great bagels don’t hurt the joint’s strong following, either. Each bagel costs 90 cents and with flavors like cinnamon sugar and sun-dried tomato, and more than 10 choices of schmears, lunch can be tasty and less than $5.  

Nick’s English Hut

423 E. Kirkwood Ave., 332-4040, nicksenglishhut.com

Craving a burger that doesn’t taste like cardboard and ketchup? With Angus beef from Fischer Farms in Jasper, Nick’s burgers are hormone and antibiotic free. Owner Gregg Rago says he partnered with the farm about five years ago because of Nick’s commitment to supporting local friends and businesses, and also, for plain good eats. “We believe in quality food,” Rago says. To get the most for your cash, enjoy the special on Sunday, when a burger and fries is only $5.25.

Pizza X:

1791 E. 10th St., 339-7737, and other locations, express.bloomington.com

Yes, you read right. Your favorite place for a 2 a.m. pizza uses ingredients from around the state. Not only do they use fresh vegetables, says Director of Marketing Sarah Sheikh, but they always use Fischer Farms beef.  And no need to remind you how cheap Pizza X is, but at $12.95, the typical Big X Bargain is a regular late night treat. Want to help the environment even more? Walk to the campus location and save the deliverer some gas. Hey, every little bit helps.