Grizzly Bear's latest 'flawless'

Grizzly Bear Album Cover

Grizzly Bear has really hit its stride.

It’s been two years since the release of the band’s last record, EP “Friend,” but the confident sound of its latest attempt, “Veckatimest,” is an effortless listening experience.

As one of the most anticipated summer releases, “Veckatimest” creeps into motion with track “Southern Point,” which starts off mellow and jumps slightly up-tempo, beginning the album’s iron grasp on your attention.

The record’s first single, “Two Weeks,” continues the album’s introduction with crisp, pseudo-pop appeal on the surface, but listen closely. The intricate musical threads and trance-like vocals are something much more beautiful than just any old pop tune.

The guys really hit a high point with “Fine for Now,” which ends in an exquisite minute-long jam and leads into punchy “Cheerleader.”

It’s obvious that the placement of each track was no simple job, no matter how relaxed the record sounds. These songs are meant to be heard in their proper order, so
illegal downloaders beware. Each tune seams perfectly with the next, giving “Veckatimest” a clean, tidy feel.

After a few listens, I nailed down “Ready, Able” as my favorite – sticking out because of its lively sound and beautiful, wintery lyrics: “Tissue and bone it was tryst / This isn’t a gunfight, checking it off my list / Unable to rewrite.” Great stuff.

“While You Wait for the Others” is catchy over some pretty gritty guitar riffs, but it’s “I Live With You” that really soars with a mesmerizingly full sound that descends only to build up again. End track “Foreground” is light and airy, and it finishes the record with a gorgeous chorus of voices.

The studio work on this album is nearly flawless – there’s not a note out of place. (note: Bassist Chris Taylor also doubles as the band’s producer and engineer.) But talented production is not what makes this a brilliant album. It’s the honest, natural sound. And though few would call the album’s sound rousing, if you love it for what it is – stunningly pure music – it’s damn near perfect.