Woman arrested for driving under influence with son

A woman was arrested Monday after she drove under the influence to her sister’s house with a child in her car.

Alicia C. Blatz, 25, was charged with operating while intoxicated and neglect of a dependent. This is the second time Blatz faces charges of operating while intoxicated in recent months – the last time was in December, said Bloomington Police Department Lt. David Drake, reading from a police report. Blatz was also wanted on a warrant for failing to appear in court.

Officers were dispatched at about 7:30 p.m. to the 2300 block of South Rogers Street after a fight was reported, Drake said. They found a woman who appeared to be intoxicated sitting in the driver’s seat of a gray pickup truck. Blatz’s 17-month-old son was also in the car, Drake said.

Blatz told police she had been on the west side of town, where she had alcohol before driving to her sister’s house. Blatz’s sister tried to remove the child from the truck because she was concerned about the child’s safety, Drake said. Blatz began yelling at her and another woman, and the police were called.

One witness described seeing Blatz driving the truck extremely slowly on Rogers Street, Drake said. The truck was up on the sidewalk, and cars were backed up behind it.
Drake said Blatz’s blood alcohol content tested at .18, is more than two times the legal limit in Indiana.