The wary eater’s guide to 4th Street’s foreign cuisine

Mandalay Restaurant
Thai and Indian influences with Mandalay’s own inspiration

This restaurant is named after the ancient Burmese city of Mandalay. Owner Allen

Aung suggested that when people come to Mandalay they try either one of the chicken curries or the rice noodle soup.

The chicken curry is special because diners can add all the spices they want to it while sitting at their table. It is not traditionally Thai or Indian, but contains Burmese flavors.

The most popular dish at Mandalay is rice noodle soup served with beef, pork or chicken.

“It is about 70 percent of our sales,” Aung said.

Open: Tuesday to Sunday; lunch 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., dinner 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
ON THE WEB: www.mymandalayrestaurant.com

Anyetsang’s Little Tibet

Traditional Tibetan as well as specialties from Thailand and India

Family-owned Anyetstang’s is one of the longest-standing restaurants on the street. Server Elizabeth Kelly said the two most popular dishes are the momos and chicken curry.

Momos, a staple in Tibetan cuisine, are little dumplings filled with chicken, beef or pork, with a vegetarian option as well.

The chicken curry is not traditionally Tibetan, but Thai. The curries come on a spicy scale of one to five, with one being the least spicy.

“If you don’t usually eat exotic food, you can probably still enjoy the food here because it’s not too wacky,” Kelly said.

Open: Lunch Monday to Sunday 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., dinner Monday to Sunday 3:30 to 10 p.m.; closed Tuesdays
ON THE WEB: www.anyetsangs.com

Siam House
Thai

The restaurant describes its take on Thai food as a mixture of Asian and Indian spices.  Siam House is known for its lunch buffet that offers a combination of dishes like Pad Thai noodles and chicken curry.

Pad Thai is a popular dish that consists of rice noodles, fried eggs, bean sprouts and peanuts. 

Depending on what day of the week you try the buffet, a different kind of curry will be available. The restaurant has a huge variety, from spicy red curries to sweet yellow curries.

The buffet is the best way to experience all that Siam House has to offer

Open: Monday to Friday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Saturday 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.; Sunday 12 p.m. to 9 p.m.; Lunch buffet Monday to Friday 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
ON THE WEB: www.siamhousebloomington.com

Anatolia
Turkish and Mediterranean

The restaurant has a variety of dishes, but server Sarah Wolfe suggests two different offerings. For someone who is too timid to try Turkish food, go for a pide. A pide is similar to an open-faced calzone, and Anatolia has many choices for fillings such as ground beef, mozzarella and eggplant.

For a signature dish try a mixed kebab plate of lamb, chicken and meatballs. This dish allows the diner to have a mixture of all different Turkish flavors.

“Trying new things doesn’t mean you have to step out of your realm of comfort,” Wolfe said.

Open: 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day
ON THE WEB: www.restaurantanatolia.com