Rapper Young Jeezy to perform for Little 500 at Sammy

Thanks to Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity and a team of students, rap superstar Young Jeezy – as well as an “awesome surprise special guest” – will be added to the growing roster of artists to perform during this year’s Little 500 week.

The concert event is presented and produced by seniors Jonathan Wolf and Daniel Kuniansky of Blue Ocean Productions and seniors Jehad Bittar and Zack Kranz of Revival Entertainment. The show will take place after the Women’s Race at 6 p.m. April 24 in the Sigma Alpha Mu parking lot, which the fraternity shares with Zeta Beta Tau. Proceeds of the production will go to benefit the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation.

Through his joint venture with Revival Entertainment, Wolf said he and partner Kuniansky had connections to Young Jeezy’s management. After presenting a Three 6 Mafia concert for Little 500 in 2007, things have really taken off for Blue Ocean, Wolf said. It toured cross-country doing shows at UCLA, the University of Arizona and the University of Georgia.

Bittar said he hopes for Young Jeezy’s appearance to put Little 500 on the map as a cultural music festival in the vein of the annual South by Southwest music, film and interactive festival.

“I think Jeezy’s appearance will be great for Little Five as a whole,” Bittar said. “I think it has really evolved into a legit music market. We hope, with the efforts of our groups, to see even bigger names here in the near future.”

Kuniansky said the show will be larger than life and predicts it will run smoothly.
“Security will definitely be better than DMX,” Wolf said. “And it will be much bigger than last year’s Yung Joc show.”

Wolf said part of the appeal to the Young Jeezy concert will come from free giveaways and food.

Kuniansky said once everything fell into place with Young Jeezy and his management, Blue Ocean and Revival came to Sigma Alpha Mu when looking for a venue.

Abe Benson of the fraternity said he, along with Sigma Alpha Mu president Jeff Safferman, served as representatives for the fraternity when arranging the concert with Blue Ocean and Revival Entertainment.

Benson said the Sigma Alpha Mu lot and house are great venues for large-scale events such as this, noting that the fraternity presented the Yung Joc concert last year.

“All the guys are great to get this whole thing going,” he said. “Jeezy is a big name, and I think he’s gonna blow this campus away.”