Panel clears bill to double alcohol taxes

An overflow crowd listens and watches a Senate committee hearing from outside the room at the Statehouse on Thursday afternoon in Indianapolis. The committee was listening to a proposal to double state alcohol taxes to help fund the agency struggling to operate the major Indianapolis sports stadiums.

INDIANAPOLIS – A plan to double Indiana’s alcohol taxes and rescue the struggling agency that runs major Indianapolis sports stadiums cleared its first Statehouse hurdle Thursday despite less-than-enthusiastic support from those who are being asked to pay for the proposed bailout.

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard told lawmakers the city needs the rescue package, but he isn’t keen on raising the city’s food and beverage taxes as proposed. Executives from the Indiana Pacers and Indianapolis Colts said the plan was a good start, but they have not yet agreed to pay the $5 million requested under the plan. The hospitality and convention industry told lawmakers they don’t want hotel taxes raised, and bartenders and brewers said they oppose higher taxes on booze.

The plan’s creator, Republican Sen. Luke Kenley of Noblesville, said everyone has to share the pain.

“I don’t know how else we’re going to do it,” Kenley said. “You can’t levy a big tax against anybody in an economy like this. You’ve just got to get everybody to take a little bite and live with it.

In a statement released Thursday night by Colts senior executive vice president Pete Ward, the team said it will continue working with Kenley and other legislators to find “an appropriate solution to this situation.”