New group’s goal to beautify IU environment

Junior Patrick Wilson said he wants to erase the stigma associated with picking up trash.

“People see us and think that we are picking up trash by some forced hand, either because of a drinking ticket or otherwise,” Wilson said. “We’ve been doing this since we got back from spring break a couple weeks ago, and we want to make headway in providing a cleaner campus.”

As public relations manager of the new student organization IU Campus Cleanup Club, Wilson wants to do just that.

Freshman John Hageman, president and co-founder, said the organization got the idea of picking up trash around campus when he noticed a deterioration of the appeal and beauty of the campus. The group goes around different areas of campus and Bloomington from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturdays to pick up trash.

“That was one the biggest reasons why I came here in the first place,” he said. “I remember me and my mom walking around and commenting on how beautiful the trees were.”

Hageman said he became distressed by the garbage on the ground and random trash he saw in the Jordan River and decided to act to fix it.

Wilson said another eyesore on Third Street motivated him to form a student group.

“I was so disappointed that some frats and sororities right on Third Street have trash in their yards from parties,” he said. “There are such beautiful buildings and students should be held accountable in a way that is fun and interactive. We also wanted to be sure everyone is doing his or her part in keeping in with the prominence of the University.”

Wilson said he supported Hageman’s decision to start a student group to help remedy the situation because he believes members of the Bloomington community have a duty to help out.

“We come here for four years, or however long it takes us to get out,” Wilson said. “This is one of the most gorgeous campuses in the country. We can’t expect other people to get the work done, so we have to do it ourselves.”

Hageman said that since this is a new group, anyone wanting a position of leadership or anyone with a fresh idea to contribute can participate.

He said another idea he had would include an overall “beautification” of the campus that would involve canvassing for new picnic tables, community murals and legal graffiti areas that would allow community members to express themselves.

The group wants to eventually include people from the Bloomington community.

“People will walk by and say, ‘Hey, the mayor’s picking up trash, why can’t I?’” he said. “Even high school kids are welcome to help provide a cleaner Bloomington community. It would be another way to help out with the current green project initiative.”