Journalists talk about Obama’s 1st 100 days

College writers talk to domestic policy director

College journalists had the opportunity Tuesday to speak with the White House Domestic Policy Director Melody Barnes about President Barack Obama’s first 100 days in office and other topics.

Barnes began the conference call with an update on Obama’s current work on economic recovery, environmental concerns, health care reform and an overhaul of the college loan process.

Barnes said Obama wants to take steps to make college more accessible and to make American workers more competitive in the global market.

Obama is focusing on financial aid like a “laser beam” and looking to cut wasteful loan programs by ending taxpayer subsidies to banks, Barnes said.

Obama’s plan will also increase Pell grants by more than $200 billion throughout the next 10 years.

Barnes also emphasized Obama’s work to reform health care, saying it “cannot wait,” and that Obama is looking to provide universal health care coverage.

Health care reform, along with a comprehensive energy plan, decreasing dependence on foreign oil and job creation, are part of the president’s plan for economic recovery.

Obama signed the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act on April 22, which calls for Americans to improve their communities though volunteering. This act will expand the AmeriCorps program and encourage Americans to become active in their
communities, Barnes said.

After the conference call, participants were invited to ask Barnes questions.

One student asked how families using the Federal Family Education Loan program would receive loans if the program is ending as Obama has suggested. The program provides federally backed private loans to students.

Barnes said the government would move toward the Direct Loan program, which is more stable and would redirect money saved from eliminating the Federal Family Education Loan program toward Pell grants.

Another question asked was how the administration will change the Free Application for Federal Student Aid program because of the fluctuating incomes of many parents.

The current application uses 2007 income tax returns, though many families have experienced job loss and lower incomes since then.

Barnes said Obama is working to improve the application process to account for job loss and drastically changing family incomes.