IU finishes final home match victorious

IU sophomore Santiago Gruter hits a backhand during a doubles match against opponents Penn State on Sunday afternoon at the Outdoor Tennis Courts. He and doubles partner freshman Jeremy Langer lost their match 8-5.

Dominated by Ohio State on Friday, the IU men’s tennis team came from behind to beat Penn State on Sunday.

IU (12-12, 4-4) ended its home record 10-4. With the Buckeyes bringing a No. 3-ranked doubles team and five ranked singles players, IU stood little chance against No. 3 Ohio State. The cream and crimson lost all matches across the board.

“The match against Ohio State was good to kind of see where we’re at,” sophomore Lachlan Ferguson said.

Sunday’s matchup against Penn State went better for the Hoosiers. Losing the doubles point, freshman Maxime Armengaud grabbed his match in straight sets. Fellow freshmen Stephen Vogl and Jeremy Langer both fought from behind to win in three sets.

“It’s always impressive when you see a young guy come through and fight from behind, especially under the pressure of a Big Ten match when a team’s down or behind,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson solidified the win for the Hoosiers, winning his third set, 6-2.

“I didn’t officially know because (IU) coach (Randy Bloemendaal) never really brings it up, and I didn’t ask,” Ferguson said. “But judging by the reaction and support of the fans and the guys of the team, I had a fair idea that my match was going to be a decider.”