IU College Democrats presents fundraiser today

The IU College Democrats group is working to clear confusion about President Barack Obama’s first 100 days of presidency.

Tonight is the chance to hear from Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan, Congressman Baron Hill and Indiana Democratic Party Chair Dan Parker about the changes to come.

The IU College Democrats organized a fundraising event open to the public at 6 p.m. today at FARMbloomington, 108 E. Kirkwood Ave.

Sophomore Kelly Smith, who oversees external communications for the IU College Democrats, said the group is looking forward to an exciting and active future at IU.

Because the group spent most of its budget on the Obama campaign this past year, Smith said, there is a $25 ticket fee for the general public and a $15 fee for students with valid student identification.  

“It’s a cool way to unite the Bloomington Democrats in the community,” Smith said. “Students will get the chance to mingle in a casual environment.”

Tracey B. Walker, FARMbloomington event manager, said the restaurant has done a number of fundraisers throughout the political season. Walker said Daniel Orr,
FARMbloomington’s owner and chef, will prepare interesting dishes based on his travels throughout the world including New York, Brazil and Belgium.  

Walker said FARMbloomington likes being a part of programs such as this because of the excitement.

“We are all about local supporting local,” Walker said. “We embrace everybody.”  

Sophomore Shawn Walter, IU College Democrats president, said the group is expecting about 60 to 75 people to attend. He said the fundraiser is mainly reaching out to the community, but IU College Democrats members, volunteers from the campaign, faculty members and students who have never been involved are encouraged to attend.  

Walter said during the next two years the group plans to work with Organizing for America and Volunteers for Change, donating to local charities and create policy awareness.

“FARM has a great area for people to mingle, and their food is great too,” Smith said. “It’s a way to bring students together outside of campus but still close to it.”