Isiah Thomas takes FIU coaching job

In this April 16, 2008 file photo former New York Knicks coach Isiah Thomas smiles before a basketball game in Indianapolis. Thomas has accepted the job as Florida International's basketball coach. The school said Tuesday, April 14, 2009 that Thomas signed a five-year contract.

MIAMI — Isiah Thomas is back in coaching, and Florida International wound up as his surprising destination.

The former IU player and NBA coach was hired to take over FIU's program Tuesday, a move that gives the Hall of Fame player a chance to revive his career.

Thomas played his college ball for Bob Knight, helping the Hoosiers win the 1981 national championship. From there, he spent his NBA playing career with the Pistons, appeared in 11 All-Star games and was the MVP of the 1990 NBA finals, when Detroit won its second straight title.

"Coming back to the college game has always been a dream of mine, and I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to go somewhere where we can build a basketball legacy together," Thomas said.

Financial terms of his five-year contract weren't immediately released. A news conference to introduce Thomas was planned for Wednesday.

"We are very excited to have such a legendary athlete and proven winner in Isiah Thomas to lead our men's basketball program," FIU athletic director Pete Garcia said. "There is no doubt that Isiah will give FIU a tremendous opportunity to take the basketball program to the highest level."

Thomas helped the Detroit Pistons win two NBA championships as a point guard, then coached the Indiana Pacers before taking over in New York, where an array of problems marred his tenure. He has never coached at the college level.

Undeterred, FIU moved quickly to lock up its top choice for the job, and Thomas was set to arrive Tuesday afternoon, ready to meet his team and get ready for a rushed recruiting season.