IFC sponsors sexual assault prevention

A woman is raped every 41 seconds, according to the Middle Way House, and this week, the Interfraternity Council is actively trying to change that.

This week is Sexual Assault Awareness Week for the IFC, and members of fraternities will be participating in a variety of events to raise awareness, said IFC Vice President of Communications Mike Antonelli.

Each IFC chapter will hang a banner from the front of its house with three to five ways to prevent sexual assault. The prevention ideas are taken from a list of “101 Ways to Prevent Sexual Assault,” which will be available on the IFC Web site beginning today.

Antonelli said IFC decided to sponsor the awareness week after being approached by the organization Raising Awareness of Interactions in Sexual Encounters and because the problem is especially pervasive on a college campus.

“It’s unfamiliar territory for a lot of college students,” Antonelli said.

Representatives from all IFC chapters will be stationed at tables at 10th Street and Fee Lane and in front of Ballantine Hall on Thursday to pass out teal awareness ribbons.

“This is large-scale,” Antonelli said. “We’re using our power in numbers to help this cause.”

In addition, the representatives will be collecting donations for Middle Way House,
which offers a variety of services to women and children affected by domestic violence and sexual assault, according to the organization’s Web site.

“We want people to not only be able to prevent this in their own lives but in the lives of their counterparts and peers,” Antonelli said.

To recognize the individual chapter that raises the most money for Middle Way House, a $100 donation will be made to the organization on behalf of IFC in that chapter’s name.

“It’s something that commonly happens on any college campus,” said Sigma Alpha Mu President Jeff Safferman, a sophomore. “We’re trying to combat it and minimize the amount of it happening.”

Antonelli said he, like many college students, didn’t realize how prevalent sexual assault was before coming to campus.

“It can ruin a life,” Antonelli said.