Cramster, Course Hero help students study online

Sophomore Alex Baluna uses social networking Web sites such as Cramster and Course Hero for help with her physics homework.

She said they are good Web sites to find solutions to problems and are sometimes better than what she learns in the classroom.

“You learn a lot more,” she said. “Physics is hard.”

Many students think the Web sites help them study, but some IU professors are concerned that these social networking sites will put students at an academic disadvantage.

Course Hero offers study materials such as lecture notes, graded tests from previous semesters and more than 200,000 textbook solutions. It also offers online study groups with more than 300,000 college students from various universities.

Cramster offers similar services such as textbook solutions, more than 10,000 lecture notes, 5,000 practice exams and online study groups. It also offers expert help at any time.

Students are able to ask for solutions for science and math problems and receive answers in minutes.

“All the resources are here, so why waste time heading to the library?” Cramster’s Web site reads.

Department of Biology assistant professor Joe Pomerening said although these sites don’t promote academic dishonesty, students might not bother showing up for class because of the help the sites give them.

“I don’t necessarily think it’s dishonest, but it’s their responsibility to go to class,” he said. “Students need to consider what they’re missing.”

Pomerening said the sites are not a magic bullet and that students shouldn’t rely on them too much.

“I think they could provide some advantages, but the prime focus students should have is to learn directly from professors,” he said. “They are the best absolute resources. Students need to maximize the opportunity we provide here.”

When it comes to finding old tests, Pomerening said he already provides his students with old exams as study tools. He said he isn’t concerned with students memorizing the tests and having the same questions on another exam.

“We as professors need to aspire students to learn the material,” Pomerening said. “We benefit ourselves to keep our tests fresh and new. It’s funny– students like to assume teachers don’t change things.”

IU algebra professor Michael Larsen said he also encourages students to look at old exams. However, he never recycles exams.

“It would be irresponsible on my part,” he said.

Larsen said the Web sites could be useful tools, especially for study groups. However, he said the sites should only be starting points.

When it comes to homework, Larsen said assignments are a small percentage of the final grade in his class, so he isn’t concerned with students asking questions on the site, as long as they use the solutions as an example.

“Eventually, I think it all depends on how students use the sites,” Larsen said. “Copying answers is useless.”

Seniors Jenna Fliehman and Ashley Wiener said they have never heard of the sites, but they would consider using them.

“I’m going to look them up,” Fliehman said.

Wiener said Web sites like Cramster and Course Hero shouldn’t give students an excuse not to go to class; rather, they should be used as tools. She said she sees nothing wrong with using the sites.

“What’s the difference what happens between fraternities and sororities?” she said. “They share notes and old tests all the time. If it’s available, then it’s fair game.”
For more information visit www.cramster.com, www.coursehero.com and www.koofers.com.