Wailers rock out to a packed Bluebird

The Wailers, the backing band for the late Jamaican musician Bob Marley, perform reggae music for their Exodus 2009 tour at the Bluebird Thursday evening. Though none of the original members of the band remain, relatives of the founding members carry on the legacy playing Marley's music as well as the original tunes.

“Reggae is the beat of the people. It is the universal language,” said Aston “Family Man” Barrett, one of the original members of the legendary reggae band Bob Marley and the Wailers. “The message of it – the roots, the culture and the reality is for all ages and all times. It’s like the moon. The older the moon, the brighter it shines.”

The Wailers played to a packed house on Thursday at the Bluebird Nightclub as part of their “Exodus” tour. The band played all of the songs from the 1977 “Exodus” album plus several other hit favorites during the encore including “Redemption Song,” “No Woman No Cry” and “Get Up Stand Up.”

Time magazine named “Exodus” the Album of the 20th century.

“The music from ‘Exodus’ is the music of the ages. It reminds people, especially young people, to keep them in line so they won’t walk on the wild side,” Barrett laughed.

Coyaba, a local reggae band opened the set and Yvad Davy, a Jamaican acoustic guitar player who is also a backup vocalist for the Wailers, served as the interlude before the Wailers took the stage.

“Natural Music,” the Wailers’ opening song and the opening song on the “Exodus” album, got the crowd swaying and cheering.

Before playing “Exodus,” the fifth song on the Wailers’ set list, lead vocalist Elan Atias urged audience members to “take it up to the next level.” He jumped around the stage, clapping and doing a series of high knees exercises while the crowd clapped in the air and waved their arms. His athletic energy stayed up through the end of the show.

“Ah, I love the music,” Atias said. “The music gets me energy. It’s so positive. It’s just a vibe I get that I want everyone to get, too.”

Everald Gayle, who was professionally trained on the trombone in Jamaica, has been with the Wailers for two years.

“I’m always enjoying myself playing with the Wailers,” he said. “We are family, like brothers. The message is in the music and it doesn’t have an age limit, so people of all ages just gravitate toward it.”

Shawn Minnich, a Bloomington native, had been to more than ten Wailers’ shows before last night’s concert. “I’m a huge reggae fan,” he said. “Seeing Family Man up there was so incredible. The show was just awesome.”

“Young people who could not come see us when Bob was alive – they are coming now. The music draws them because the message is for all,” Barrett said. “The beat of the people is a universal language that people all over the world can understand. Our music gives out those loving vibes and those happy vibes. The drumbeat shows true love. And we keep nice because our Rasta man vibrations is positive. We got those herbal remedies.”

The touring lineup of the Wailers includes Barrett on bass, Elan Atias on lead vocals, Chizzy “Audley” Chisolm on guitar, Anthony Watson on drums, Keith Sterling on keys, Chico Chinn on trumpet and Everald Gayle on trombone.

Barrett, who contributed largely to the Wailers sound and is the only member from the original lineup, has a few final words of advice for the young people upon his departure for the next stop on the Wailers’ tour.

“Bob and me, we were chosen of the nation to spread the message of our roots. Don’t forget the movement; always keep it in mind. You’ve got to be strong and stay close to the Almighty One. The devil will tempt you to the maximum capacity so keep praying for strength, wisdom and overstanding. Not understanding, overstanding. You don’t get it until you overstand.”