Hoosiers try for 4-0 in Conference

Freshman Jeremy Langer hits a forehand during his singles match against an opponent from Purdue Saturday. Langer lost his match 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. The men's tennis team will face the University of Illinois today.

With only one loss in the last month, the Hoosiers (11-8) will head into today’s match against No. 9 Illinois with a solid 3-0 record in conference play.

“We’re really going to try to defend our home courts,” sophomore Santiago Gruter said. “Basically, try to play with a lot, a lot of energy and just take it to the other team as far as effort and energy goes really at the start of each match.”

The Fighting Illini also enter the match undefeated in Big Ten action. Both teams have dominated the same conference opponents with wins against Purdue, Northwestern and Wisconsin.

Illinois will bring a talented and diverse team to Bloomington with a freshman, sophomore and senior. The three players are ranked No. 35, No. 43 and No. 63, respectively. They also have a No. 37 doubles combination.

Gruter spoke about his team’s leave from the IU Tennis Center.

“It’s our courts, so we’re used to it and we’ve had a bunch of matches here, especially in the past month,” Gruter said. “I just think we’re used to the courts, we’re playing well indoors. Now we have to make the adjustment outdoors.”

While Illinois has consecutive road losses to Texas A&M and Notre Dame, the cream and crimson will be energized from their home win against Purdue.

Although IU’s roster is full of underclassmen, they have been successful. Three different freshman have won four of their six matches played.

The Hoosiers, who are 6-0 at home in March, may end the month the way they started it.
“It’s going to take six guys that are really determined and really focused and really want to get the job done,” Gruter said.