‘Stop Kiss’ acting could be refined

Like any work by playwright Diana Son, “Stop Kiss” is punchy, passionate and honest.

It is unfortunate, then, that IU’s production, now in performances at the Lee Norvelle Theater and Drama Center, fails to achieve the same straightforwardness.  

Callie, played by Lilia Vassileva, is a brutally honest New Yorker, but when it comes to her growing feelings for her new friend Sarah, played by Kate Catherall, she is bogged down by uncertainty.  

Sarah is beaten up after she and Callie are seen kissing in a park in the West Village.
Confusion and hesitation pervaded the first half, the cause of which can be attributed to opening night jitters or the pattern of the play, which alternates from present to future and back again.   

Vassileva and Catherall are comfortable with each other, almost counterproductively so. As Callie and Sarah take some time adjusting from their heretofore heterosexuality, it becomes belatedly apparent that the two harbor any sexual attraction at all.  

The rest of the cast serves its purpose and even boosts quality at times. Brian Bradshaw, for example, who plays Callie’s friend and occasional bedmate George, gave an energetic performance.

Tension overflows but does not escalate, which is a disservice since Son’s script is meant to only pick up steam.

Vassileva does find her rhythm, and Catherall shines brightest in wordless scenes.

Given enough time, I think they could find more conviction, and because of their characters’ underdevelopment, the play seems to end too soon.  

Katie McDermott’s set design caters well to the different locations other than Callie’s apartment, where most of the play occurs.

“Stop Kiss” might be an imperfect play, but IU’s production of it can certainly improve. It touches upon relevant issues without getting preachy but is a show that can claim that accomplishment deserves an audience.