Red-Hot ticket files for IUSA candidacy

The IU Student Association elections are starting to heat up with the Red-Hot ticket announcing its candidacy.

The Red-Hot ticket will have a call-out meeting at 7:30 p.m. today in the Indiana Memorial Union Oak Room so students can learn more about the ticket, IUSA, the election process and ways to get involved with the ticket. The meeting will also provide students with a forum to voice their concerns and learn some of Red-Hot’s platform ideas, said junior Andrew Hahn, presidential candidate.

“Even though the election is seven weeks away, we are trying to reach out to all parts of campus, hearing students’ concerns and what they would like to see done at IU,” Hahn said.

Red-Hot’s overarching platform ideals are to connect, develop and sustain the University, Hahn said.

Hahn said one of the ways to connect the University is to improve the public transportation system.

Hahn said state money is available for public transportation systems, but IU is not receiving the money because the school has not applied for it. Hahn said he hopes a Red-Hot administration can help make this possible.

Another idea is to have a “virtual union” where student groups can post events and interact with one another.

In addition, the ticket plans to address space issues for the Student Recreational Sports Center and wants to make sure the facility is adequate for IU students.

Although Hahn said IU is working to create a more sustainable campus, he said members of the Red-Hot ticket hope to strengthen and build on this foundation.

Members of the Red-Hot ticket said they hope to employ a consistent color-coding system throughout campus to make the recycling system clearer and more effective.

They said they also want to create a recycling initiative for the greek system because there isn’t one currently in place, said junior Mary Kelley, vice presidential candidate.
But with a campus as diverse as Bloomington, Red-Hot candidates said it’s impossible to know all the issues facing students.

“We recognize that we don’t know all of the students’ concerns,” said junior Bryan Stuart, candidate for vice president for congress. “All of our personal e-mail addresses are on the Web site, which is pretty unique to have available as of right now. I want to hear from students, even if I need to spend two hours answering e-mails.”

The ticket’s Web site, RedHotIU.com, lists the ticket’s platforms as well as candidate biographies.

Hahn said leadership experience in many different parts of IU’s campus sets the Red-Hot ticket apart.

“We have depth, breadth, and we come with an open mind,” Stuart said. “The unifying theme is that we are willing to take on any challenge from students. Everything we promise students we intend to go through on.”

Members of the Red-Hot ticket said the current administration has done many positive things for IU, and they hope to strengthen and continue that legacy.

“I hope that we will be privileged enough to inherit the organization that (current IUSA President) Luke Fields has put in place, build upon that organization and make IUSA an even stronger force next year,” Hahn said.