Phi Beta Sigma steps into 25th annual show

Statewide show this Saturday at IU Auditorium, 7 p.m.

The brothers of Phi Beta Sigma will try to step their way to a third consecutive victory at this weekend’s 25th Annual Statewide Step Show.

The Statewide Step Show features stepping and dancing acts from around the state. Teams from every Phi Beta Sigma chapter in the state of Indiana will compete for the honor of hosting next year’s competition.

The show, which will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday in the IU Auditorium, will feature two competitions. The first is a general team step competition, with eight teams competing for a $3,000 prize.

Phi Beta Sigma president Jeff London said the second competition is among the Phi Beta Sigma chapters and is a part of the fraternity’s tradition.

“We’re the best stepping fraternity in the nation,” London said. “Amongst us, it’s like, ‘Who’s the best of the best?’ It’s like the playoffs.”

IU’s team has won the competition two years in a row.

Sophomore Darren Broady, the National Pan-Hellenic Council representative from Phi Beta Sigma, said about 1,700 people showed up for last year’s competition, and his fraternity is expecting a similar showing this year.

“It’s the biggest step show in the Midwest,” Broady said. “It’s like a roller-coaster ride. It’s something to remember.”

Attendees can expect to see dancing similar to that in the movie “Stomp the Yard,” Broady said.

Tickets cost $12 in advance and $15 at the door and are available at the IU Auditorium box office. Broady said tickets can also be charged to bursar accounts.

Doors open at 6 p.m., and people were lined up early last year, Broady said, as seating is general admission.

London said his favorite part about the event is the competition between chapters of Phi Beta Sigma.

“Everybody brings their best because it’s such a large program,” London said. “It brings a lot of diversity to the campus.”

Broady and London said their entire fraternity has been working nonstop for Saturday. London said the steppers have an especially large commitment, but every single member of Phi Beta Sigma in the state of Indiana plays some role in the show.

“We practice at least three or four hours a night, and then you spend countless hours rehearsing on your own,” London said. “It’s fun because it brings the chapter together, but it also requires a lot of focus and attention.”

London said the event is an affordable night of family-friendly entertainment.

“It’s an excellent show, especially for the price you’re paying,” London said. “You know, ‘Bob the Builder’ was 30 bucks. You’re not going to beat that anywhere.”