City employee wins statewide award

Grundmann honored for work, leadership efforts

Daniel Grundmann, city of Bloomington employee services director, was named the Partnership Award winner by the Indiana Association of Rehabilitation Facilities for his leadership and outstanding efforts toward people with disabilities.

According to the city’s Web site, the Indiana Association of Rehabilitation Facilities is an organization composed of at least 80 companies statewide.

Each year the association awards an individual, a business, a club or even an educational program an award for efforts in helping people with disabilities.
Grundmann said he has been the city of Bloomington’s employee services director since 2001.

He also serves as a business representative for DiversityWorks and actively participates with Options, Stonebelt and other programs, all of which work for development of employment for people with disabilities in numerous communities.

“We at the city of Bloomington have been fortunate to work in partnership with key players in our community who understand how important this cause really is,” Grundmann said.

Grundmann said he is also active nationally, advocating for more education and awareness for businesses regarding the benefits of hiring people with disabilities by guest speaking at events or participating as a discussion panelist at conferences and public events.

Grundmann’s nomination came from Susan Rinne, executive director for Monroe County-based Options.

“Daniel exemplifies all the characteristics of a community partner,” Rinne said in a statement. “His efforts around promoting employment opportunities for people with disabilities have been innovative and have led to lasting changes in how agencies like ours help people find jobs.”

Rinne serves on the Indiana Association of Rehabilitation Facilities board and was recognized by the organization for her outstanding services as well.

The association will present the award to Grundmann at its annual conference March 11 at the Sheraton Keystone Hotel in Indianapolis.

Grundmann said he is flattered by the gesture and hopes he can continue on with his advocacy.

“I am honored that INARF has recognized me,” Grundmann said. “And I’m especially grateful to all the self-advocates, dedicated staff, volunteers and members of organizations statewide that make it their mission to advocate for people with disabilities and educate the public.”