Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts relocates

On Tuesday, Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts moved to a new location in the heart of Bloomington’s downtown art district. The gallery, formerly located on North College Avenue, opened up shop in the Historic Wicks Building on Gallery Row.

Jamie Sweany, IU alumna and owner of the Wandering Turtle, opened the gallery in 2003. The gallery features paintings, ceramics, photography, sculptures, jewelry, handmade paper, note cards and artist’s prints, Sweany said. Exhibitors of the gallery include artists and craftspeople from around the world, as well as 100 local and regional artists, Sweany said.

The decision to move was based on the space that opened up, said retail manager Rachel DiGregorio.

“It’s a positive move,” DiGregorio said. “The space is so cool.”

Moving onto Gallery Row will not hurt the Wandering Turtle’s business because the art district in Bloomington is a community, DiGregrio said.

“The move is a benefit to everyone,” he said. “The other galleries have been very welcoming and inviting.”

Before the move, the Wandering Turtle held a moving sale from Jan. 2 to 7.

“We had a pretty good turnout for the sale,” DiGregorio said.

The gallery tried to keep cards and other items that customers bought weekly in the gallery before the move, DiGregorio said.

“We tried to keep merchandise available and still be able to pack things,” she said. “We had a lot of support, understanding and patience from our customers.”

Not only did the employees of the Wandering Turtle help with the move, but 15 artists also showed up to lend a hand, DiGregorio said.

“We moved on the coldest day of the year,” she said.

While in the moving process, the Wandering Turtle was closed from Jan. 8 until Monday.

The gallery places a big emphasis on community.

“Our mission is to support local, regional and international artists and musicians and to help create a thriving downtown Bloomington Arts Community,” Sweany said.

On Feb. 6, the gallery will hold a Grand Re-Opening and Sixth Anniversary Celebration in time for the first Gallery Walk of the year. The Wandering Turtle holds six Gallery Walks a year, where galleries open their doors to the community and provide art exhibits and music for all visitors to enjoy, said DiGregorio.

“People can get out and walk around downtown,” DiGregorio said. “It gives people a chance to really explore.”

DiGregorio said she believes the gallery is about making art accessible and showing that it’s not a luxury.

“Bloomington is an art-based community,” she said. “The gallery gives people a way to get involved and feel like they’re a part of something. Community goes hand-in-hand with Bloomington spirit and the Wandering Turtle spirit.”