University officials keep original recommendation for Wildermuth name change

A sign for the Ora. L. Wildermuth Intramural Center is seen Wednesday afternoon along Seventh Street. The All University Committee on Names announced Tuesday that a decision had been reached regarding the future name of the building.

University officials are sticking with their original recommendation to rename the Wildermuth Intramural Center to the William L. Garrett-Ora L. Wildermuth Fieldhouse.

They also kept the suggestion to create annual conference and set up a plaque explaining why the names are combined. Officials said they hoped this would emphasize a "teaching moment," with the name of a segregationist and someone who broke down racial barriers side-by-side.

Wildermuth served a member of IU's board of trustees from 1925 until 1952. He led the trustees from 1938 to 1949.

About a year and a half ago, an Indiana Daily Student columnist wrote an article saying the gym's name should be changed. He cited letters written by Wildermuth which advocated segregation.

Garrett was IU's first black basketball player when black players were barred from the Big Ten by a tacit "gentlemen's agreement." He opened the doors for other black players.

The recommendation was originally presented to the board of trustees facilities committee in November.

At the meeting, IU trustee Patrick Shoulders suggested keeping Wildermuth's name on the gym and naming the Student Recreational Sports Center after Garrett.

This sent the debate back to the All University Committee on Names.

The committee reaffirmed the decision after considering Shoulders' and others' ideas, said Terry Clapacs, Head of the All University Committee on Names nad also the Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer for IU.

The committee also took into consideration different petitions from faculty and student recreational sports committees on whether to take Shoulders' suggestion.

It's up to the president to take it to the trustees, who meet next in February, Clapacs said.