Potential greek sisters begin final rounds of rush

When IU freshman Jaime Mora heard knocks on the doors of the Delta Delta Delta house on Thursday morning, she waited outside with anticipation.

The members of Delta Delta Delta opened the doors and greeted Mora and about 20 other IU students with a song, pleading to them, “Ba-do Ba-do, tri Delta!”

The women braved the snowy 20-degree weather to visit the sororities of their choice during the first invite starting 8 a.m. Thursday, where the houses greet potential members and invite them for a house tour.

Mora said although she’s from Colorado and had to deal with time changes along with the cold weather, she was still wide awake and appreciated the sorority’s warm greeting.

“It’s all definitely worth it,” she said. “Once the girls knock on the door, I just feel a rush of excitement.”

During the first invite, IU Panhellenic Association president Sara Stombaugh said all 12 sororities welcome potential members with entertainment and skits along with a tour. In the second invite on Friday potential sisters narrow down their choices to up to six chapters, she said.

On Friday, the potential members watch videos of the sororities and have the opportunity to have meetings with sorority members as part of their second invite, Stombaugh said. After the second invite, the women then go through a preference round Saturday, which is a formal invite of up to three sorority houses, according to the IU Panhellenic Association Web site.

Stombaugh said after the invites, the potential members then go through Bid Day on Sunday, when they receive bids to their sororities. She said the sororities are looking for women who have potential in leadership, academia or other values that show devotion to self-improvement.

“We’re looking for girls who have potential to do things in their lives,” Stombaugh said. “We’re looking for self-betterment and girls who value loyalty and sisterhood.”

IU freshman Anne-Marie Colling feels the pressure of the competition of being accepted into the sorority.

“I’m kind of nervous to go through the greek system,” she said. “There are over 1,800 girls rushing, and that’s the harsh reality.”

But Stombaugh said even if the women don’t receive bids to the sororities of their choosing, they can still visit the houses and chat with members in hopes of getting in. She also encourages the women to do research on different sororities by visiting their Web sites.

“People get caught up with the competition,” she said. “But to us, it’s an opportunity to meet new sisters.”