On Bid Day, hundreds of sisters find new homes

Sisters of Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority cheer Sunday afternoon in the middle of Woodlawn Avenue, awaiting their new pledges. Sunday marked the end of Formal Recruitment.

Spraying silly string. Pounding on buses. Dancing on cars. Climbing trees.
And, of course, a whole lot of yelling.

It was a lot to take in, but that was the standard greeting for new members of Gamma Phi Beta, who were welcomed into the sorority during Sunday’s Bid Day.

Bid Day serves as the end of formal recruitment for women as new members receive bids to join a sorority. Formal recruitment began Dec. 6 with 19 Party and ended Sunday.

Though official numbers won’t be made available until a “recruitment wrap-up” meeting at the end of January, Panhellenic Association President Sara Stombaugh said between 800 and 900 women received bids out of the 1,640 who participated in 19 Party.

Senior Savannah Jones, a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, said she was looking forward to Bid Day to see the future of her sorority.

“This is my last year, so I feel I’m going to be leaving behind a good pledge class,” Jones said.

As buses with new members for all 19 houses came into view, each sorority erupted into cheers.

Jordan Dauby, a sophomore member of Gamma Phi Beta, clad in a sweatshirt with her house letters and a pair of angel wings, said she was most excited about seeing the women’s faces as they arrived at their new homes.

“I remember the feelings I had last year when I got off the bus,” Dauby said. “It was one of the best days of my life.”

Alyssa Alley, a fellow Gamma Phi sophomore, said the experience featured “pee-your-pants excitement.”

Now that new members have received bids, Stombaugh said the next few weeks will be filled with sisterhood events, such as dinners and bowling. The sisters will also try to orient themselves to their new houses.

In addition, the houses will begin member education programs to teach women about the history of their sororities and the ins and outs of the greek system before initiation, when they become formal members.

By joining a sorority, new members gain a home away from home, offering them a smaller and more personal community with excellent opportunities for leadership, Stombaugh said.

“It offers an opportunity for a lot of growth for women,” she said.

New Gamma Phi Laura Barnes, a freshman, said she was “so freaking excited” when she got off the bus.

At Alpha Chi Omega, freshman Holly Clark was greeted with hugs and big smiles.
“I can’t even explain how excited I am,” Clark said. “I’m so overwhelmed. I have no words.”