Most Anticipated Films of 2009

Harry Potter and the gang will be back to warm your hearts this year.

1. “Avatar” Dec. 18
As James Cameron’s first movie since “Titanic,” “Avatar” will probably be all you hear about this year. Perhaps this is because it’s a movie we know almost nothing about. But the hype is so high and the 3-D digital technology is supposedly so advanced that I have to list this science fiction epic as my most anticipated movie of 2009.

2. “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince”
July 17
Bad news: This movie was supposed to come out two months ago. Good news: Because of the release change, it’s only about a one year wait until “Deathly Hallows: Part I.” The trailers suggest that the sixth entry will be every bit as eerie, dark and epic as the book was. I guess we’ll all find out July 17.

3. “Inglorious Basterds” Aug. 28
Quentin Tarantino’s first full-length feature film since “Kill Bill: Vol. II,” “Inglorious Basterds” (the misspelling is intentional) is, in short, a World War II revenge movie. Besides the fact that it’s Tarantino’s attempt to return to form, this film gains some bonus points for its bizarre array of stars like Brad Pitt, Mike Myers, Samuel L. Jackson and B.J. Novak from “The Office.”
4. “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” June 26
People either loved or hated the original, and I happen to be in the former category. The robots were cool, sure, and the seamless special effects were fantastic, but I was much more entertained by the actual actors in the movie. Hopefully writer and director Michael Bay doesn’t listen too much to the fanboys and keeps the same balance of robot effects and human fun as the original did.

5. “Up” May 29
Pixar once again out-did itself with last year’s fantastic “Wall-E,” and while I can’t expect them to top their previous effort, they’ve proved me wrong almost every time.

6. “Public Enemies” July 1
Johnny Depp plays the notorious gangster John Dillinger, who did many of his famous bank robberies in this very state. “The Dark Knight”’s Christian Bale co-stars. Consider me there.

7. “Star Trek” May 8
I can’t say I’m a “Trek” fan at all, but the trailer is one of the best I have seen in some time. I’m sold.

8. “Terminator: Salvation” May 22
“Rise of the Machines” was surprisingly pretty cool, and this new installment features a perfect cast. Christian Bale plays John Connor in the first of an entirely new trilogy.

9. “Angels & Demons” May 15
“The Da Vinci Code” wasn’t exactly perfect, but director Ron Howard seems intent on making a better movie in this prequel. He’s helped by two things:
1) Better source material. 2) Tom Hanks’ crazy hair is nowhere to be seen.

10. “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” May 1
As the only character in the “X-Men” trilogy who actually had character development and a compelling story, Wolverine is once again played by Hugh Jackman in this spin-off. Sure, the plot is questionably similar to the “Bourne” series, but it still looks fresh enough.