HBO comedian to make cracks at Funny Bone

Arj Barker of “Flight of the Conchords” will start the first of three consecutive performances at The Funny Bone Comedy Club today.

The show is only available for those 18 or older. Baker himself even questioned the appropriateness of his material.

“Is it for all ages?” Barker asked. “It’s not appropriate for a person of my age to be telling these jokes.”

Barker said he would describe his comedy as observational with hints of surrealism and horrible logic.

He has been featured on late night talk shows such as “The Tonight Show” with Jay Leno, “Late Show” with David Letterman and “Late Night with Conan O’Brien.”

Jared Thompson, owner of The Funny Bone, said he expects a large turnout.

“The sorority houses are buying tickets in bulk,” Thompson said.

He said he expects at least 75 percent of the turnout the club had for VH1’s “Best Week Ever” star Doug Benson, who performed at The Funny Bone at the beginning of January. Thompson said the show sold out for all five performances.

Barker got his start in comedy at 19 when he decided to drop out of college and live a life of performing stand-up comedy on the road.

“Not a day goes by that I don’t regret it,” Barker said. “If I stayed in school, I’d know how to spell things right and be able to count all my money.”

Barker gained most of his fame from his role as “Dave” the pawn shop owner on HBO’s “Flight of The Conchords.” He also writes material for the comedy show “The Marijuana-Logues,” which features Benson.

Barker said that if people are undecided about whether to attend the show, they should just stay home.

“I don’t want a bunch of lukewarm people in the audience,” he said with a laugh. “As an audience member you either choose to lose or you’re in it to win it.”