Sunday, June 16

House of Hunan burglarized

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources found a safe on Dec. 12 believed to be linked to a Bloomington burglary.

The owner of House of Hunan restaurant called the Bloomington Police Department at about 1:55 p.m. Dec. 12 to report a stolen safe and stolen money from the cash register, said BPD Sgt. Shane Rasche, reading from a police report.

The owner told BPD he noticed the cash register was pried open and that the safe was gone when he arrived to work on Dec. 12, Rasche said.

The owner also noticed there appeared to be forced entry to the back door, Rasche said.

Later that day, an officer from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources called BPD to report they found a safe in the Morgan-Monroe Forest, Rasche said. Items within the safe indicated it was from the House of Hunan.

The safe is in the possession of BPD, Rasche said.

Anyone with information on the burglary can contact BPD at 339-4477.

Local police investigating office burglary

The Bloomington Police Department is investigating the burglary of an office.
A manager for an office on the 1200 block of West Allen Street called BPD at 4:20 p.m. Dec. 13 to report a missing copy machine, computer and printer, Rasche said, reading from a police report.

The manager said the front door had been pried open and the front window had been opened, Rasche said.

BPD found blood outside of the office door, which was collected for evidence, Rasche said.

Anyone with information on the burglary can contact BPD officer Lloyd Hawkins at 339-4477.

Police: Man punched officer after arrest

A Bloomington man was arrested Dec. 14 after punching an officer and resisting law enforcement.

Bloomington Police Officer Dana Runnebohm noticed a vehicle driving with a portable DVD player on the dashboard that did not have registration plates at 1:18 a.m. on Sunday, Rasche said, reading from a police report.

The vehicle did not stop immediately when Runnebohm attempted to pull the man over, and when he did pull over the officer noticed back and forth movement within the vehicle.

Runnebohm said the driver and the passenger appeared to be nervous. The driver told officials he did not have the registration for the vehicle because it did not belong to him.

As the driver was reaching into the glove compartment, Runnebohm noticed clear small bags of what looked like marijuana, Rasche said.

Runnebohm asked the driver to get out and proceeded to make an arrest, Rasche said, when the driver then punched Runnebohm on her forehead with his left hand. Runnebohm was able to push him away from her. The driver had a handcuff on his right hand, but he tried to run away.

Sgt. Steve Kellams noticed the struggle and went around the vehicle and tackled the driver.

Eventually, officers were able to apprehend the driver and the passenger.

Small clear bags that contained what officers thought was marijuana were found on the driver and in the vehicle, Rasche said. He also had a folding knife in his shoe.

The driver, Theodore Tolliver, 22, faces preliminary charges of possession with intention to deal marijuana, resisting law enforcement and battery of a police officer, Rasche said. The passenger, John Wallace, 23, faces charges of possession of marijuana and resisting law enforcement. Tolliver and Wallace are both Bloomington residents.