Community reflects on lives of those lost to AIDS

Organizers hope day will spread awareness of HIV

Red ribbons signifying AIDS awareness sit on a table Monday outside the Ballroom at Fountain Square Mall. The ribbons were available for those attending an event recognizing World AIDS Day.

One by one, the candles were lit.

“This is for Craig,” one woman said.

“This is for my kids,” another said.

“This is for my dad, Jerry.”

These were the names of victims of the AIDS pandemic. Candles were lit in their memory at the World AIDS Day Ceremony of Celebration and Remembrance on Monday night in the Fountain Square Ballroom, where more than 100 people gathered with heavy hearts to commemorate the millions of people affected by the illness.

Monday marked the 20th anniversary of World AIDS Day, which serves to spread awareness and promote education about HIV.

“It’s a night to remember people who have passed away and their family and celebrate their lives,” said Jim Stevens, the event’s emcee.

The evening began with an slide show of images taken from the lives of HIV/AIDS victims and allies. The pictures brought a number of people in the crowd to tears.

“Every year I tell myself it’s supposed to be a celebration,” Stevens said. “But it’s a sad time for a lot of us. For those of you who feel that way, it’s okay to be sad.”

The event featured performances by local musicians, including The LadyQuakes! and South Jordan. Deb Launer presented the 2008 Celia Busch “Making a Difference” Award to Vanessa Vale and Vicci Laine for their service to those living with HIV/AIDS.

Local restaurants such as Bloomingfoods Market & Deli, Bloomington Bagel Company and Starbucks donated platters of food for the event.

The event was organized by the Community AIDS Action Group, as well as Positive Link, a regional AIDS service organization based at Bloomignton Hospital’s Community Health Services.

Emily Brinegar, the prevention coordinator for Positive Link, said World AIDS Day was especially important in the Midwest.

“There’s a lack of education and a lack of knowledge about what HIV is,” Brinegar said. “People in more rural areas deal with more stigma issues.”

Bloomington resident Patrick McDaniel was diagnosed with HIV three years ago. McDaniel said he believes the city is not a supportive community for those living with HIV. But he said Positive Link helps.

“Positive Link is beneficial for a lot of people with HIV with helping them get health insurance, housing, things like that,” McDaniel said.  

Stevens said he is afraid people have forgotten the illness still exists.

“AIDS is still around,” he said. “There’s still so much to be done. This is a wonderful time of the year to stop and reflect on what we’re doing as a community and individually.”

While the night’s sadness was palpable, so was the hope.

“Hope gives us something greater to believe in,” said Tim Gonzalez, the multicultural minister from St. Paul Catholic Center. “For us, there is hope in new and better treatments. There is hope in ongoing research. There is hope in the compassion and companionship of those around you. You are not alone.”