Spice up your winter look with new coat styles

With days getting shorter and the temperature dropping, the fashion focus is turning to winter coats. This season promises to be one in which coats will shine in a variety of new styles and shapes.

As one of the first things people notice about someone’s fashion, a stylish coat is an important staple of any ensemble.

A coat is what industry insiders call an “investment piece,” meaning you splurge on an expensive, stylish coat knowing it will be worn often. And because many times it can make less expensive and unstylish clothes look more elegant, it is definitely worth the cash.

This season, invest in a brightly colored coat. Darker hues are still popular, but this season, rich shades of red and purple with berry variations such as rich raspberry, along with various shades of pink and maroon, are the runway staples. A colorful piece can instill new life in an otherwise monochromatic and dull outfit.

As far as shapes are concerned, choices abound. With decades in the making, the trench coat is still a fashion wonder. And this season, it has been reinvented in funky new silhouettes with more detail than ever. This versatile piece can be paired with leggings and boots for that city-chic look or with a dress for a more feminine feel.

Bomber jackets are another hot trend this season. This urban-feeling piece looks best paired with skinny jeans and pumps for that causal, going-to-class look.

As a top trend, plaid has also crossed over into the outerwear arena with plaid coats, blazers and even swing coats. Swing coats generally have empire waists and flare out a bit below the breasts. This is a great piece if you are looking for more volume around your mid-section.

Victoria Beckham was recently spotted sporting a chic white cape, giving her seal of approval. Capes are one of the edgier pieces this season, but it really adds that extra level of “umph” to your outfit. With Beckham on your side, you can’t go wrong.
Mini-sizing is in again this season, and that means three-quarter sleeve jackets and cropped coats are another trend this fall. The cropped coat looks great with a pair of high-waisted pants or a skirt.

The military jacket is several seasons strong but nevertheless clean, polished and sexy. It can be worn to an office meeting, a casual lunch or even a formal dinner. Blend richly detailed masculine pieces with softer feminine fashions to achieve the military jacket’s full effect.

No matter what type of coat or jacket you decide on, adding details such as ruffles, bows, pleats or dress-like cuts add a little femininity to an otherwise rough season.
Most of the above coats will be available at Saks or Nordstrom. For a more affordable find, try local vintage stores such as Cactus Flower or lower-end stores such as Macy’s. Stay classy IU.