Hollywood is ahead in embracing U.S. diversity

Diversity. It’s something we celebrate in this country. In light of Tuesday night’s events, we see diversity in the United States as a greater asset than ever before. And it’s about time.

As I’ve said many times before, Hollywood is a great barometer for what is going on in society. They are usually ahead of the rest of us, paving the way for more controversial ideas, and this time is no different. Hollywood has been celebrating diversity for years, and the rest of us have officially caught up.

Case in point: “Grey’s Anatomy” is arguably one of the most popular television shows of the past five years, whether you like it or not. I think almost all fans of the show will remember the “Code Black” episode from a few years back. Genius. (Yes, I am a “Grey’s” fan, but I’ve been hooked from the beginning. I can’t give up on it now.) Anyway, “Grey’s” has one of the most, if not the most, diverse casts on TV, on and off screen.

The writers of the show never shied from controversial topics. They tackle sexuality in all its forms, race issues and workplace relationships, to name a few.

Last week, Erica Hahn proclaimed her love of lesbian sex to her (formally?) heterosexual partner Callie Torres. It was one of the best monologues I have ever seen on TV. And with the current political and social controversies surrounding homosexuality in our society, the fictitious relationship could not have come at a better time. Too bad ABC found it too controversial and explicit and axed it.

The show has always used very diverse actors as well. There are Latino characters, Asian characters, black characters, white characters, all colors of the racial rainbow. And more often than not, minority characters are seen in positions of power.

The chief of medicine, the best general surgeon in the hospital, the best resident in the program and, in the first two seasons, the best cardiac surgeon in the country, were all members of minority groups.

So, in light of Tuesday’s monumental election outcome, I would venture to say it’s about time we elected a minority to the highest office in our government. We’re finally ready. After more than 200 years, we’re finally ready.

Hollywood reflects it. It’s not to say we don’t have a long way still to go, but we’re getting there.

The entertainment world gives us an outlet and allows us to get used to more controversial ideas so that when the time comes for a truly important decision, we’re ready to make the right one.