From country to pop and back again

Taylor Swift is so fearless she sits in front of cars.

Every few years, a crop of young stars rises in the music industry, and most of them are considerably substandard. 

But 18-year-old Taylor Swift defies that logic by writing and playing on most of her songs. The country-pop artist seems to be just as talented as an artist who is twice her age. And after the colossal success of her debut – it spawned five singles and moved 3 million units in a tepid time for record sales – she’s back with Fearless

On Fearless, Swift brings a softer and more melodious sound than on her previous album. It features less pop and more country, and the songs show more of the artist within her than just another pop artist of the era. The acoustic guitar, which has enhanced her music, is also more prevalent here.

Swift’s songs do have that poppy and energetic feeling to them, even though almost all of the songs follow the same faint rhythm. And although most of her songs do sound similar, the balance between country and pop works fairly well.

“Fearless” is one of the more country-tinged tracks, featuring serious lyrics and a minimalist sound. In contrast, “You Belong with Me” is pure pop goodness. Finally, “Love Story” includes a level of seriousness that Swift’s songs didn’t have on her debut.

Although tracks here do sound similar, she does bring different styles and instruments into them. In “Love Story,” the acoustic guitar is dominant, while “You’re Not Sorry” is powered by a beautiful piano that leads and builds the song up to the climax. 

Even at her young age, Taylor Swift has really captured the country-pop sound solidly on Fearless. Surely her success will carry forward, and she will continue to grow as an artist.