Fashion Show provides both talent, charity

The Asian American Association’s Fashion Show is expected to be more than a catwalk and chic clothing because most of the show will be devoted to talent performances.

The show is expected to draw more than 200 people to the Willkie Auditorium on Friday night for the sake of both talent and charity.

The Fashion Show begins at 7 p.m. and will showcase entertainment from Asian American Association members and other IU students, from hip-hop dancing to cultural performances.

Organizers said this year the Fashion Show is partnered with the Indiana Blood Center to increase the number of registrants for the National Marrow Donor Program.

“It is our main event of the semester and has an expected attendance of 200 to 300 people,” said junior Amy Truong, Asian American Association programming chair.
The show has also transformed throughout the years.

“It used to be a lot more fashion-centered, but not anymore,” said sophomore and Asian American Association publicity chair Jake Zhang. “We decided to just keep going with the name.”

Guests will witness the IU B Boys’ break dancing skills, listen to the Japanese flute and hear the vocal performance of Marissa Santiago. 

But the show has kept some of its original style. Zhang said the end of the show includes a fashion walk featuring students from IU Asian student organizations dressed in their country’s traditional attire.

“Many people from other student organizations will come to support their fashion walkers,” he said.

Truong said it is hard to predict the exact number of people who will be in attendance because many students might leave town for Thanksgiving break or head to West Lafayette for this weekend’s football game against Purdue.

Despite this, Zhang said he expects a large audience.

“There’s just going to be a big turnout from the Asian community overall, as well as the overall population of IU and Bloomington,” he said.

Truong said the fashion show serves to promote spirit of community, raise awareness of the Asian Pacific American presence on campus and to promote cultural diversity.

“All the while providing a fun and entertaining show for everyone,” she said.