'Evolver' extends the legend

Evolving never sounded so good.

Before you pop in a John Legend album, you count on hearing a few things: beautiful, effortless vocals; superior lyrics and good ol’ sweet, baby-making music.  

Evolver lives up to these standards.

Even so, this album has more than a few unexpected touches that make his album title choice much more understandable.

Although collaborations with Andre 3000 and Kanye West are surprising, an appearance by Brandy (raise your hand if you knew she was still around) isn’t as surprising in that she could also be placed under the soul music genre.

Yet these changes only enhance the experience. Andre 3000’s appearance in “Green Light” adds to what is already one of Legend’s better songs. A piano can’t even be heard, but his soft voice and the great hook will most likely make this tune Legend’s first true club hit.

Other notable songs include the reggae-induced “No Other Love,” featuring soul singer Estelle, the guitar-flavored “Everybody Knows,” and “Quickly,” the song featuring Brandy that would have felt at home at any club in 1986. 

But anyone looking for Legend to continue his old-fashioned piano-driven sound will unfortunately be disappointed. 

After pretending he’s been stuck in the ’60s and ’70s, Legend wants to make sure he doesn’t miss out on what’s happening now. 

Some may see this as disappointing, but this is a welcome change. Change is good for careers and even better for listeners. Where would we be if Bob Dylan hadn’t decided to go electric?

Evolver contains sounds that are undeniably different from the norm of Legend’s catalog, but the substance of the material is of the same high quality.