A 'Soul'-ful tribute

Someone should let Sam Jackson know that he looks like a moron anytime he's not bald.

Heath Ledger isn't the only posthumous actor to deliver a strong performance this year. On Aug. 9,  Bernie Mac passed away, but not before completing work on his latest film “Soul Men.”

The movie stars Mac and Samuel L. Jackson as retired R&B musicians from the ’70s. Their band was known as The Real Deal featuring Floyd Henderson (Mac), Louis Hinds (Jackson) and front man Marcus Hooks (John Legend). Now with Hooks’ death, Henderson hopes to get Hinds together for a comeback tour after performing a benefit gig at the Apollo Theatre in Hooks’ memory.

Yes, this is one of those movies that could be full of possible cliches at very turn. The pair is on a road trip and anything could go wrong. The characters are old, and isn’t it funny to watch them try to do young things. The characters are black and are required to swear as often as possible.

But “Soul Men” never goes too far with any of that material. About the worst thing that happens on the road is that Henderson accidentally shoots a hole in a tire that Hinds just changed. Henderson also has an AARP card, but the card says enough by itself.

Even their manager says, “They say motherfucker a lot, but they’re really nice guys.”
And it’s true. They are really nice, funny guys that the audience can relate to and like. Jackson carries some deeply witty, intelligent and profound dialogue.

Mac too can make audiences laugh solely because of his patented, bulging eyeballs. Mac was one of those comedians you thought would always be around. He was never an A-list comic, but it’s movies like this that make us want to remember him.

Mac and Jackson contribute quite a bit to their roles, but much of this material falls flat. What makes “Soul Men” good is the almost sentimental moments where the duo performs. This film thankfully takes its music seriously, and viewers should have a good time simply watching without “trying” to be entertained.

Mac started some other projects before his untimely death, but perhaps audiences will remember him best for this “soulful” performance, and rightfully so.