Sunday, June 16

19-year-old shot early Thursday

A Bloomington teen has been arrested and faces preliminary charges of attempted murder.

Officers were dispatched at about 2 a.m. Thursday to the 1200 block of Arlington Park Drive after gunshots were heard in the area, according to the press release.

Police say a 17-year-old male allegedly shot James D. Finney, 19, in the chest and arm, according to a Bloomington Police Department press release.

The 17-year-old boy and Finney had Bloomington addresses, said BPD Sgt. Jeff Canada.
BPD Detective Rick Crussen arrived on the scene and found Finney lying on the sidewalk near the Arlington Park Apartments parking lot, according to the press release. A group of people including the 17-year-old were surrounding Finney.

Witnesses on the scene identified the male as the one who allegedly shot Finney, according to the press release.

After gathering information at the scene, the press release states the incident was a result of comments made by Finney about a female acquaintance of the male.

Detectives think there might have been a physical dispute before the incident.

Finney was treated on the scene and then transported to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, Canada said. His condition is currently unknown.

The male was arrested and taken to the Monroe County Jail, according to the press release.

BPD did not find a weapon on the scene but found a shell from a .380 caliber weapon, Canada said.

BPD is asking anyone with information on the incident or the weapon to contact Crussen by calling 349-3374.