Understanding the labels on your coffee

USDA Organic: This label means the product meets the standards of the government’s National Organic Program. USDA Organic foods are not produced using antibiotics, pesticides, chemical fertilizers and are not genetically modified.

Certified Naturally Grown: This service offers organic certification for smaller farms that can’t afford to spend the time and money that would be used going through the USDA’s National Organic Program.

Fairtrade: This term is used by Fairtrade Labelling Organizations International to denote products that meet the FLO certification board’s fair trade standards. In general, workers must be guaranteed humane working conditions and a fair wage for products to be labeled as Fairtrade.

Fair Trade Certified: TransFair USA, the only third-party, fair-trade certifier in the U.S., uses this label on products that meet its standards. Among other criteria, Fair Trade Certified producers must be paid $1.35 per pound for conventionally grown coffee and $1.55 per pound for certified organically grown coffee. TransFair USA is a member of the FLO.

FTO Mark: This symbol is used by The International Fair Trade Association to identify member organizations, who are all fair trade cooperatives and associations.