Presidential portrayals on film

How movies about the leader of the free world compare

The presidential election is just days away, and Oliver Stone’s “W.” is already beginning its fade from popular culture. So now is a perfect time to examine the best president-centric films of recent memory. Because presidency films have multiple sub-categories, I’ve broken them down, focusing on the more common genres.

Actor makes the movie :
“W.” vs. “Nixon”

These movies rely on the performance of the lead actor to make them entertaining. It’s safe to say “W.” should fit here, as Josh Brolin had a difficult task taking on the role of George W. Bush. It would be too easy to resort to an over-the-top Bush impression. The only way to make the story work was to get into the psyche of Bush: a subtle portrayal without resorting to mockery. Brolin succeeded in that and in turn is getting some serious Oscar buzz.

Anthony Hopkins had the same problem with his role as the president in “Nixon,” another Stone picture. Audiences already had a rock-solid opinion of Nixon, making it all the more difficult for Hopkins. And much like Brolin, he didn’t resemble the president in any way. But his dead-on impersonation and subtle body gestures made the performance so strong that audiences had no problem believing he was Tricky Dick.

Both actors did an incredible job portraying their respective presidents, but “Nixon” is a stronger film: The story of the rise and fall of the most shameful president in history is more interesting than the rise of the most mocked president in history.

Winner: “Nixon”

Drama:
“The American President” vs. “The Contender”

Although “The Contender” is more focused on Joan Allen’s vice presidential candidate caught up in a sex scandal, the movie is still a film about the U.S. presidency because of its behind-the-scenes look into White House dealings.

Jeff Bridges plays President Evans as super laid back, totally in control and extra cocky. Multiple times throughout the movie he hilariously calls the White House cooks to order ridiculous sandwiches, solely to see if they will actually make them for him. 

Although “The American President” is a drama, it’s considerably lighter, focusing on a budding relationship between widowed President Shepherd and his girlfriend. Every facet of the film – especially the script from “West Wing” creator Aaron Sorkin and the supporting cast featuring Michael J. Fox and Martin Sheen – are exceptional.

And though “The Contender” is extremely well made, the edge goes to “The American President” because of its great dialogue and incredible cast.  

Winner: “The American President”

Badass president:
“Air Force One” vs. "Independence Day”

Both movies depict the president as the ultimate man’s man.

In what had to have been the easiest pitch ever (“Indiana Jones as the president”), “Air Force One” showed Harrison Ford kicking terrorist ass single-handedly. But don’t underestimate Bill Pullman’s President Whitmore. In “Independence Day” he shoots down aliens in his own F-16. 

Each movie brings new meaning to suspending disbelief, but when it comes to who is more badass, Bill Pullman can’t compete with Harrison Ford. Yet, when it comes to which movie is actually better, the decision is tougher. 

They are essentially the same movie: Kill the terrorists who have taken over the plane, and kill the aliens taking over the world. But if forced to make a decision between the two, there is still nothing cooler than seeing the White House blow up in “Independence Day.”

Winner: “Independence Day”

It will be interesting to see how “W.” holds up in the years to come, because his cinematic oval office peers have set the bar high.

But I think the real question is: When is when will the Barack Obama movie be released? Will Smith, get ready.