Hoosiers take season-opening win against Kentucky

The IU women’s swimming and diving team put on a dominating performance Saturday in its first meet of the season, defeating Kentucky handily in a meet that was never closely contested. The Hoosiers won 15 of 16 events, taking first and second in six events and first, second and third in two events. They also took places one through four in the 500-meter freestyle.

IU Coach Ray Looze said he is treating the victory with cautious optimism, noting that the team is talented, but still has much to prove.

“We have siege mentality,” Looze said. “There’s a group of people in the castle shooting arrows, pouring hot burning oil on us, rolling rocks off, and we want to take it ... We don’t have anything. We’re sitting out in the cold, and we want to be in the castle.”

IU’s strong performance was led by Junior Kate Zubkova, who won the 100-meter backstroke, 200-meter backstroke, and 200-meter individual medley. Senior Sarah Stockwell won the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke, and freshman Nikki White won the 200- and 500-meter freestyle. All three were members of a winning relay team as well.

“I’m really happy with my swims,” White said. “I’m just glad I was able to score a lot of points for the team.”

The 200-meter breaststroke was one of the events that the Hoosiers went 1-2-3 in. Stockwell placed first, followed by senior Abby Cooper and junior Amilee Smith.

“Before the race I talked to Ray,” Stockwell said. “He told me to swim a smart race. I went out very smooth and really brought it home at the end.”

Other winners for the Hoosiers were sophomore Amanda Smith (500-meter freestyle), sophomore Brittany Barwegan (200-meter butterfly), freshman Margaux Farrell (50-meter freestyle), junior Donna Smailis (100-meter freestyle), senior Christina Loukas (1-meter diving) and sophomore Christina Kouklakis (3-meter diving).  

Besides the 200-meter breaststroke, the Hoosiers also took the top three spots in the 3-meter diving. Behind Kouklakis were junior Brittany Feldman and Loukas. In the 500-meter freestyle, White was followed in order by Amanda Smith, senior Allison Kay and junior Cassie Luhrsen.

The 100-meter butterfly was the sole event that Kentucky was able to win Saturday.  

“I’d really like to have the 100 fly back,” Looze said Looze. “I think Donna (Smailis) could have won that race. She gets really down on herself, but that is what makes her such a good swimmer.”

Stockwell, one of three team captains, said that the dominating performance her team put on in nearly every event against Kentucky was not necessarily a surprise.

“I had a feeling we could do it,” Stockwell said. “We are a young team but we are a powerful team.”

The Hoosiers will be put to the test again Friday as they take on Big Ten rival Northwestern, a team of which Looze is wary. The meet will begin at 3 p.m. at the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center.

“Northwestern is going to be very tough,” Looze said. “We could come right back down to reality.”