Hoosiers pull out stunning win against Northwestern

IU ends five game losing streak, edges Wildcats 21-19

IU senior defensive lineman Greg Brown celebrates following IU's 21-19 win over Northwestern on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. Brown had three tackles in the win.

For the first time since September, the IU football team and its fans know what it is like to win.

The Hoosiers (3-5, 1-4) ended their five game losing streak on Homecoming, defeating Northwestern 21-19 after suffering a heartbreaking loss in Evanston, Ill., a year ago.

Sophomore quarterback Ben Chappell, starting in place for injured junior Kellen Lewis, led the Hoosiers by running and throwing for a touchdown. Chappell spread the ball around well but completed the majority of his passes to freshmen Tandon Doss and Damarlo Belcher.

After falling behind 3-0 early, the Hoosiers came right back with 43-yard touchdown to Belcher. Northwestern took a 9-7 lead when Tyrell Sutton ran it in from one yard out, but Chappell came right back with a three yard touchdown run of his own to give IU a 14-9 halftime lead.

Northwestern added a field goal but the Hoosiers scored on some trickery of their own. IU ran a reverse to sophomore wide receiver Mitchell Evans, who chucked the ball 23 yards downfield to Doss.

Junior safety Austin Thomas sealed the victory, recording his second interception of the game with only four minutes remaining.