Former Washington Post executive editor speaks about Watergate scandal, elections

Leonard Downie emphasizes ‘accountability journalism’

Leonard Downie, executive editor of the Washington Post, speaks at on Tuesday evening at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Downie, the third speaker in the IU School of Journalism's Fall Speaker Series, discussed the importance of "accountable journalism" amidst today’s changing media atmosphere.

The last time former Washington Post executive editor Leonard Downie visited Bloomington, he was a sports editor at Ohio State’s The Lantern, covering the Buckeyes’ victory against Hoosiers in football. That 1961 Ohio State team eventually won the national championship.

This time, Downie pointed out, he was coming on the heels of a Hoosier victory.

College football aside, Downie spoke to students and Bloomington residents about the upcoming election and the various factors that could affect who voters select on Election Day. He pointed out key battleground states, such as Ohio, Florida and Indiana and debated possible reasons why either Barack Obama or John McCain could win.

Later, The Herald-Times’ Laura Lane and Indianapolis WRTV’s Ray Cortopassi joined Downie for a question-and-answer session before moderators opened the floor to students and other listeners.

Lane and Cortopassi asked Downie about his experiences as an editor during the Watergate scandal. He described that period as one of uncertainty.

“It was like being in a very dark tunnel not knowing where the end was,” he said.

Throughout his talk, Downie stressed “accountability journalism.”

Downie watched Nixon’s resignation sitting on the newsroom floor with Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein.

“I thought there might be a coup,” he said. “It was that tense.”

During his tenure, the Post garnered 25 Pulitzer Prizes, including three for public service. Downie called himself a “catalyst for really great writers.”

Dean of the School of Journalism Brad Hamm said Downie’s talk, sponsored by the school as part of its School of Journalism speaker series, allowed students to hear the process behind the important choices editors make.

“I think what’s remarkable about the series is that it gives you the opportunity to hear people who were involved in national events and then how they thought about them,” Hamm said. “We often see the coverage about it, but to hear the dilemma he had in making this decision or that decision – I think that’s important.”

Freshman journalism student Kelsey Finn said she only found one frustrating aspect in Downie’s speech.  

“It bothered me, and I know it bothered a lot of other students, that he doesn’t vote,” Finn said.

The format of Wednesday night proved to be successful, with students lining up after the question-and-answer session to pepper Downie with their own queries.

“I liked how the questions were set up – the opportunity for us to hear different points of view, not just what the two interviewees were saying,” Finn said. “It was good for students to get the opportunity to ask questions.”

One student asked Downie for his advice to aspiring college journalists. He emphasized getting experience, having an older mentor and studying a subject besides journalism.

A 44-year veteran of the Washington Post, Downie began as a summer intern in 1964 and stepped down in September. His current plans include visiting more journalism schools to share his knowledge and experience.

“For me, journalism is still a calling,” he said.