Monday, June 17

Chappell has the tonic to cure ailing offense

Now, IU quarterback Ben Chappell is the kind of change you can believe in.

So he’s not the most persuasive guy at his craft, big deal.

But by all means, he’s no phony.

To his credit, Chappell isn’t one for pledges, predictions or promises.

Instead, he lets his actions speak louder than his words. And on Saturday, Chappell’s performance confirmed he’s the right leader for the future of the IU football team.

Chappell, who netted two touchdowns, executed the game plan to perfection – to open the Homecoming contest with a bang and get the fans, for once, on the Hoosiers’ side.

After the Wildcats converted a field goal, Chappell threw a 43-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Damarlo Belcher. For a moment, the score distracted the faithful from IU’s embarrassing recent past and directed their minds toward the future.

“(Chappell’s) always been good, but he’s always been overshadowed by Kellen (Lewis),” Belcher said following his team’s 21-19 stunning upset over Northwestern. “He had his chance to shine and took full advantage of it.”

You’re right, Damarlo. He doesn’t emulate Lewis’ style. But your team responds better to Chappell.

He kept the game close throughout and your defense, consequently, had something to play for.

Northwestern quarterback C.J. Bacher’s passing attack was ineffective, as IU safety Austin Thomas intercepted him not once, but twice in two crucial situations.

Unlike previous conference duels, IU’s defense stopped the run, too. Northwestern running back Tyrell Sutton only gained 77 yards on 27 carries. Mind you, Sutton is one of the best backs in the conference.

“Ben has taken on leadership,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “I thought he played very well because (Northwestern) is a very good pass-rushing football team.”

But the Wildcats weren’t that team on Saturday. IU’s offensive line gave Chappell more time to adjust, and he made two freshmen look like stud seniors. Wide receivers Tandon Doss and Belcher caught a combined 14 catches totaling 189 yards.
For the first time this season, every unit contributed to the team’s victory. With Chappell under center, the Hoosiers gained 319 all-purpose yards. Plus, IU’s defense and special teams forced five turnovers.

And when the clock struck zero, Chappell and his teammates did something they haven’t been able to do in quite some time.

“After we won, it just clicked in our heads that we had to go over (to the student section) and sing,” junior defensive lineman Jammie Kirlew said. “It’s definitely a good feeling going over there.”

Despite IU’s disappointing season so far, Chappell made us feel proud to wear our cream and crimson again. He completed something that didn’t seem possible, which was to get the Hoosiers working together in a coherent, functional way.

After the game, Chappell was unavailable for comment.

Lynch said he was “banged up” and it was necessary to get him treated right away. 

But all Lynch really had to say is that Chappell is the kind of guy that lets his play do all the talking.