Anberlin surrender all doubts

Anberlin are one of the most talented and underrated bands around.

Christian rock sucks.

Just like how annoying southern accents in country jeopardize the music, Christian rock does the same with faith undertones. But even though Anberlin’s roots stem from Christian rock, their music doesn’t deserve to be associated with it.

Anberlin reminds us that all is not lost in the alternative-rock genre, a conclusion that would be easy to come to with all the crap heard on the mainstream airwaves. Stephen Christian’s powerful and unique voice is still after my own heart and defines what Anberlin is all about.  

New Surrender, the band’s new album and major label debut, combines the best of their previous two efforts. Present are the soaring hooks seen on 2005’s Never Take Friendship Personal, as well as the maturity present on 2007’s Cities. Here Anberlin use hand claps and acoustic guitars to the best of their ability, keeping the record diverse throughout.  

Which brings us to “Younglife.” The band doesn’t use the acoustic guitar too often, but the track utilizes a combination of acoustic strumming and the classic whirling guitar sounds Anberlin is known for.

Moreover, “Soft Skeletons” is the obvious standout track on New Surrender. It delivers the perfect combination of the old and the new Anberlin and puts an edgier spin on the classic love ballad. “Retrace” is a bit more conventional, but is in the same vein.

There are really no bad songs here, but the addition of “Feel Good Drag,” a rerecorded song from Never Take Friendship Personal, seems out of place with the rest of the album. It’s a good song, but there’s no reason for the band to think they need it to make it big.

Anberlin continues to break away from the stage dives and the swinging guitars with New Surrender.

Their ability to combine more mature songwriting and catchy hooks makes them one of only reasons to still listen to mainstream alternative rock. If there’s any justice in the world, their career will take off so more people can experience their greatness.