New weapons arm offense

Freshman wide receiver Damario Belcher grabs a touchdown pass in front of a Western Kentucky defender on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

For a significant part of 2008, Bloomington will get a good look at the future.

In true freshman wide receivers Tandon Doss and Damarlo Belcher, the Hoosiers add two weapons to an already talented receiving corps. Only through their first game of the year, the duo has held its own in IU coach Bill Lynch’s spread offense.

In all, five freshmen competed for wide receiver spots instead of taking a redshirt.

With their height and speed, though, Lynch saw Doss and Belcher as potential deep threats, something the Hoosiers were lacking.

“As it kind of played itself out, we needed the outside guys more,” Lynch said. “It kind of evolved into Doss and Belcher. They had a good preseason camp and showed they were ready to play.”

From the start of fall practice, it began to appear early on that Doss specifically could make a contribution. But it is Belcher, likened to former Hoosier James Hardy, has turned heads during the past few weeks.

At the fall’s beginning, Belcher struggled. But each week, Lynch did not see subtle improvements in his wideout – he saw wholesale changes. Belcher’s play sparked comparisons to the record-setting former Hoosier. Standing
6-foot-5, hailing from Fort Wayne and even playing on Hardy’s AAU basketball team, the comparisons came early and often.

“I just want to make an impact for myself,” Belcher said. “Like I said, he’s a great player. I don’t know who wouldn’t want to be like James. But I’d like to be like myself instead of comparing myself to James.”

Belcher did not take long to make his first impression a good one. In the third quarter last Saturday, quarterback Kellen Lewis tossed a fade in the corner of the end zone for Belcher, who leapt over the defender for his first career touchdown. Evoking memories of 2007’s Lewis-to-Hardy combo, Belcher became the first true freshman to catch a touchdown since Brandon Walker-Roby in 2005.

But while Belcher has come on as a pleasant surprise, it is Doss who was expected to come in and contribute right away. Another tall receiver – he is 6-foot-3 – Doss injured his shoulder in fall practice and had to sit out the 31-13 win against Western Kentucky.

Practicing in full pads throughout the week, Doss looks set to receive his first playing time against Murray State.

A product of Indianapolis’ Ben Davis High School, Doss looked crisp while running his routes in practice Tuesday and Wednesday. With junior wide receiver Ray Fisher still ailing from a shoulder injury, Doss and Belcher should get more looks and opportunities to showcase their talents.

“I think if (Doss) can get through (Thursday) like he has the past two days, I think there’s a good chance we’ll see him play on Saturday,” Lynch said.

“That’s the whole plan,” Doss added. “I had two minor setbacks I had to get through but I’m ready to do it now. ... It’s more of a mental thing.”