Fashion 102, honors version: Both attitude and clothes are fashionable

Gabrijel Gelic is a sophomore majoring in finance.

The question I am most often confronted with is, “Why fashion?” The answer is quite simple: Because I love it.

However, as shocking as it might be to many of you, fashion has not always been a passion for me. It took time, nurturing and a lot of commitment.

While other boys my age were focusing on sports and worrying about getting cooties from girls, I spent my spare time glued to the television and computer screens watching fashion shows and getting the latest style scoop from Tim Blanks on Fashion Television. That, ladies and gentleman, is why I have no mercy for people who disregard fashion completely by saying, “Well, fashion just is not my thing.”
Or even worse, “I care more about comfort than my actual appearance.”

When I hear my fellow classmates say those things, it just brings pain and sadness to my ears.  I understand most people will never see fashion as I do, but I do believe that everyone can, and should, have a socially acceptable sense of style.
What’s a socially accepted sense of style, you ask? Well, how about I tell you what’s not socially accepted.

1. It’s not raining and you’re not Michael Jackson, so you can put the umbrella away. It’s not attractive.
2. When did it become OK to wear your dorm key and student ID as an accessory? Never, so stop it.
3. The IU Orientation Programs backpacks were cute the day you had your orientation – not so much anymore. You might want to replace that with a tote to avoid being laughed at.
4. Bras were invented for a reason. Stop ruining the day of those around you by having it look like there are bouncing balls under your T-shirt.
5. Platforms went out with the Spice Girls.
6. Shoes were made for a reason, so stop going around barefoot showing your ugly toes.

Undoubtedly there will be girls who will ignore my advice and think they’re cool for standing up for what they believe in. Well, if you like looking like a hobo and using keys and ID tags to accessorize, then, by all means, be an individual.

Of course, fashion is more than just physical style. It’s also about the way you carry yourself and portray yourself to the outside world.

When I’m sitting on the bus and having to hear how you got wasted the night before and hooked up with 450 guys, that’s not cool.

Not only is what you’re saying a complete demoralization of everything style and grace stand for, but you are also making a fool out of yourself to your friends, and, no doubt, the rest of the people who have to sit there on the bus and listen to you. Save those conversations for private places, not public transportation.

Remember that if you have nothing classy to say, don’t say anything at all.
That’s all for this week, but I want to leave you with a quote to keep in mind as you dress for class tomorrow:

“Going to class looking like a hobo: $5. Having me and the rest of IU laughing at you behind your back: priceless.”