Monday, June 17

Back on the Lewis bandwagon

Chappell solid in spring, summer, but starting job should belong to Lewis

IU quarterback Kellen Lewis might not personify everything you want in a captain, but give credit where credit is due – he’s good.

Lewis was sidelined for spring practices and on through the summer due to an unspecified violation of team rules. As a result, sophomore quarterback Ben Chappell took snaps with the first team in that time until Lewis was reinstated four months later for training camp.

Prior to the Hoosiers’ opener with Western Kentucky, IU coach Bill Lynch was trapped in a quagmire: to start the sophomore who Lynch said “won over his teammates” or to go with the recently suspended Lewis, who he said “reached all the benchmarks” set for him.

Lynch subsided his morass by tipping his cap in favor of the seasoned Lewis, who on Saturday proved his coach’s choice correct with a virtuoso performance on the gridiron.

You can be ambivalent to Lynch’s decision all you want, but Lewis is what makes the Hoosiers’ offense tick.

The junior sensation tallied four touchdowns – two through the air and two scores: 75 and 62 yards, respectively – en route to a 31-13 victory agaist the Hilltoppers.
In fact, both offensive tactics on Saturday earned Lewis two more spots in the IU record books.

His wheels outran all former IU players, as he became the first Hoosier to run for two touchdowns of 60 yards or more in a game.

Plus, Lewis’ arm broke the school’s career record for total passing touchdowns when he connected with junior wide receiver Ray Fisher in the second quarter, previously held by former IU quarterback Antwaan Randle El.

Without Lewis behind center, the Hoosiers’ running game is dismal. The Hilltoppers matchup was a prime example, as Lewis rushed for 185 yards while the rest of the team added 112.

At his post-game press conference, Lynch noted that the no-huddle offense appeals to Lewis’ ground game.

“(Lewis’ runs) are part of the offense, and everybody we play has to defend him,” Lynch said. “I don’t care who runs it. If we run the ball, we have a chance to win.”

Lynch is right. If you have Lewis, do you really need a high-profile running back? His speed is too valuable to keep him inside the pocket.

The masses can label Lewis’ arm as mediocre, but 17-for-27 for 144 yards and two touchdowns doesn’t sound that average to me. 

Lewis’ tag-team partner – James Hardy – may have departed for the NFL, but the wide receiving core may be more solid than in seasons past.

“Hardy was a great player, and he will be missed at the University, but it’s time to move on,” said senior wide receiver Brandon Walker-Roby, who caught one pass for 26 yards on Saturday. “We have more depth than we’ve ever had since I have been here.”

By now, I hope you’re still not clinging to Chappell.

Lewis is too explosive of a player to have watching from the sidelines. Even though he missed spring practice because of his suspension, Lewis proved he was just as controlling of the game against the Hilltoppers as he was last season. His deceptive skills on the turf make him an invaluable maestro for Lynch’s no-huddle scheme.

“It’s been a very hard off-season, obviously, getting back on the team and following the team and following the rules coach has asked me to follow,” Lewis said. “My main goal was not to go out there and make a lot of mistakes, but don’t go out there and play too cautious.”

Lewis’ gambits are jaw-dropping on the field, but give him credit with his turnaround off the field.

To be honest, I bet against Lewis’ return before this season. But his work away from football should not only please me, it should please you, too. And like me, you should give credit to a guy who proves his change of course.

There’s plenty of future down the road for Chappell, but for now it’s Lewis’ show.